- Alcohol:14.5% vol
- Grape Variety:Aragonez, Alicante Bouschet and Trincadeira
- Serving Temperature:16-18ºC
- Winemakers:Pedro Baptista
- Assistant Winemaker: Duarte Lopes
- Pairing:Veal, Beef, Lamb, Poultry
- Theme:Cartuxa wines reflect the tradition and famed quality of the first people to make wine at Cartuxa. Carthusian monks who in 1587 established the Santa Maria Scala Coeli Monastery. It was first produced in 1986
Climate:Mediterranean with cold winters with rainfall concentrated between October and February, hot summers, with temperatures close to 40ºC at the time of maturation.
- Vinification:Cartuxa red is a blend of Aragonez, Alicante Bouschet and Trincadeira, planted in the Eugenio de Almeida Foundation vineyards. When the grapes are judged to be perfectly matured, they are carefully picked and brought into the winery for de-stalking, gentle crushing and fermentation in temperature controlled steel vats. There follows an extended maceration period followed by maturation in vats and barrels for 12 months. The wine is aged in bottle for 6 months prior to release.
Ageing:Maturation in vats and barrels for 12 months. The wine aged in bottle for 6 months prior to release.
- Tasting notes:It is a restrained, almost shy bouquet with nice approaches of cassis and elderberry, though also raspberries. The well-proportioned body looks supple, an effect of the strong Cocoa note and spicy elderberry flavor. This is followed by an intense, consistent finish
There are no reviews yet.